Municipality of Nea Smyrni
At the ancient time, the space that occupies today the Municipality of Nea Smyrni, was surrounded southernly by Faliron, north-easternly by Alopeki and westwards by the Xypeti. In 1905 were created the cowhouse Hrysaki, while one year before(1904) the Faliron road was suppressed with the creation of Syggrou Avenue.
Before 1922 in the region existed pasture lands. Few months afterwards the Asia Minor' Destruction in 1922, the refugees from Smyrni started the first energies for their accommodation. The region that was selected for the installation of Smyrni refugees was near in Athens and Piraeus, was connected with a road with them and the value of land was relatively low. On 14 August 1923, twenty days afterwards the signature of Treaty of Lozani, a Legislative decree was signed by N. Plastira about obligatory expropriation of land round the Syngrou Avenue, while the next year was published the "New Mapping of Athens", which included the "Urban settlement of Smyrni refugees.
The city began to be built in 1926 and in 1928 the settlement that had been created had population 210 residents.
During the decade 1930 Nea Smyrni was altered in a real city and the population from 6.500 in 1934, reached 15.000 residents, just before 2nd World War. The city was developed rapidly: they were created the first High School, the Evangelic Faculty, two Municipal Schools, while in 1940 was inaugurated the temple of Saint Foteini. In the decade of 1930 was created the cemetery of city.
The city became Municipality the 1944.
The Park was created in 1924 when minister of Agriculture was the Al. Papanastasiou and there were organised the "Rural Feasts" and "Anthestiria". This period was founded also the Athletic Group of Nea Smyrni, Milonas, while Panionios G.S.S. that had been founded in Smyrni in 1890, was installed in the Nea Smyrni after the concession of the municipal Stadium, that was completed in 1940.
Nea Smyrni was incorporated progressively in postwar Athens that took explosive dimensions, losing, finally, it's particular character. The city extended itself mainly Easternly and southernly, occupying up to 1960 all the extent. The population also increased regularly this period and it was supplemented the social and technical infrastructure of city (streets, transport, water supply, sewerage, cleanness and hygiene). In the first 20 postwar years, they are built: Three Municipal Schools, the Evangelic Faculty, the Schools of ESTIA, the Onaseios Faculty, the Lysse Leonin and muny Private Schools. In 1946 7 cinemas existed in Nea Smyrni. In 1955 begin the construction of ESTIA.
In 1965 the statue of Xrisostomos of Smyrni is setting up in the entry of the city, it was made by the sculptor C. Apartis. The city is embellished and begins the developement of a commercial centre. The first blocks of flats were presented in Nea Smyrni in 1955-60 round the central square and the square of Xrisostomos of Smyrni.
In the years 1945-1975 a lot of schools were built, while in the decade of 1960 was completed the construction of Saint Paraskevi. By the end of the 60's, the palace of ESTIA was complited. The same period was shaped the central square from the architect G. Leonardos.
The last 20 years Nea Smyrni having covered all the extent, was developed exclusively at height and it's population was doubled. (Source: Site of Municipality Nea Smyrni)
The building of Municipality
The building of National Roof